On the HP1000 observing logs are kept by the spectral line and by
the field system on the VLBI field system.
This must be extended to all observing programs.
A system wide observing log must be kept (no matter what program is running
i.e. this includes VLBI).
The observing log should be in an easily readable format.
A log browser must be provided for browsing, printing and commenting
the log files.
It must also be able to generate overall statistics of observations,
implying that predefined formats are needed for each type of report.
The observing log must store at least the following information (all
entries must be time stamped) :
- beginning of each observation :
- project name,
- proposal number,
- principal investigator,
- observation number
- type of observation (e.g. spectral line, VLBI, pulsar etc.),
- class of observation (e.g. ROP, thesis, student, etc.),
- start and end time of observation,
- during observations :
- any changes to system configuration,
- the system state e.g. Tsys, receiver stability, weather
- source name and coordinates,
- any faults detected,