Next: About this document ...
Minutes of NCCS Progress Meeting # 42
13 January 1999
This was the forty-second progress meeting on the NCCS after the
initial meeting with all concerned staff on the 17th January 1996.
Present were :
M.Gaylard, K.Jones, J.Kriel, G.Nicolson, P.Stocker, A.v d Merwe.
Absent were :
The minutes of the previous meeting were accepted.
The following points were discussed :
- NCCS Controlled IF Distribution System -
P.Stocker reported that the VLBI IF input selector has been completed
and installed, apart from some labelling detail.
G.Nicolson suggested that the Spectrum Analyser IF input selector be
considered as a low priority backgroud task until further notice.
J.Quick pointed out that final installation of the IF distribution
system will have to wait until the new Electric Drive control panel / servo
system has been completed.
- NCCS Correlator -
J.Quick reported that the new Australia Telescope Multibeam Correlator
has been installed in the designated rack and suitably cabled apart from
one 32 MHz timing signal cable.
J.Quick added that installation of the companion AT Distributed Clock
would proceed as a priority item, to allow installation of the correlator
to be finalised.
- Phase 1 (VLBI Support) -
J.Quick reported that Phase 1 of the NCCS has been successfully
implemented with the exception of the following hardware items:
All but the later will be expedited as part of Phase 2.
- New 3.5cm Dicke Switch Controller
- Replacement of various Noise Adding (HI level) Diodes.
- HP8662A Frequency Synthesizer
J.Quick added that the current version of ANTCN still hangs up
occasionally during VLBI operation. This is believed to be due to a
re-threading of the underlying TACO layer by the internal interval
timer routine. A suitable patch will be implemented soon.
- Phase 2 -
All current HP1000 observing functionality implemented with final (ie. NOT
interim) NCCS hardware and software.
Under discussion the following hardware tasks were identified:
Software tasks identified were:
- Complete Phase 1 outstanding hardware.
- Finalise NCCS correlator installation.
- Implement Radiometer IF input selectors.
- Modify all Radiometers to allow Noise Adding / Total Power
Mode selection under computer control.
- Qualify V/F converters for use with Dicke / Noise Adding /
Total Power mode Radiometers.
- Troubleshoot and setup Counter boards for Linux STEER cage.
- Build and install new Electric Drive Control Panel and
- Convert Mark I Pulsar Timer to use standard NCCS IF inputs.
- Rewrite SYPARM configuration database to eliminate all
duplication of information.
- Write an Editor for the SYPARM configuration database.
- Write a Device Server for the new NCCS Correlator,
- the LBA DAS filter unit,
- the V/F + Counter combination,
- and the Mark I Pulsar Timer.
- Write the necessary standardised support routines for all
of the above to be included in the HartRAO station library.
- Setup an area for standardised SGML based documentation,
together with a HTML skeleton on which to hang it.
- Conversion of all existing NCCS documentation to SGML.
J.Quick suggested that the timeline be discussed with relevant parties
once an official tasklist has been produced outlining priorities etc.
- NCCS Documentation Project -
J.Quick proposed that documentation of the NCCS be considered as a
project in its own right, running concurrently with NCCS development.
J.Quick further proposed that the NCCS Documentation Project be arranged
as a set of suitable webpages referring to all current NCCS documentation,
which should be written in SGML to allow both WWW and printed documentation
to be produced from one common source.
- Electric Drive - A separate meeting to be scheduled by G.Nicolson.
Next: About this document ...