HartRAO Home >
The HartRAO Library
In the early days as a NASA tracking station library, 1960 - 64, the library
in the main only had technical documentation with very few books. As the
facility developed so did the library and by about 1967 the total number of
books had increased to approximately 300, with some 25 - 30 journals on
subscription. General cataloguing and classification was carried out as per
CSIR library standards.
These levels were maintained up to 1974, when the facility ceased to be part
of the NASA network. From 1975 the facility became a full-time radio
astronomy observatory and since then the library has built up to over 1000
books with some 75 journals on subscription with the main emphasis being in
the astronomical and physics fields.